EasyCFM.COM ColdFusion Forums / New Users Area! / what have I gotten myself into...?

Reply to Discussion | New Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: what have I gotten myself into...?

book mark this topic Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Arkitorture
04-24-2007 @ 7:05 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar

Ok, Long story short - I know Front Page.  I have a client who has a web site created using the .cfm extentions.  They are not hosting the site but have complete access to it.  They are wanting me to compile the source code from that site?  I don't even know if this can be done.  I have installed CF and it's somewhat of an overwheling program to understand.  

So first - is this worth doing?  My client wants to get away from paying someone to make changes to the site from week to week.

Second - is CF the correct program for this process?

the web site is www.graphic-design-group.com\admin\index.cfm  

Thanks in advance.  

CJ
04-24-2007 @ 7:40 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!
Powered by Gravatar
Administrator

so...they want to move away from CF to... what?

if they have an admin area (that requires a login), they'll need some sort of server side language (be it CF, PHP, ASP, etc).

they want to "get away from paying someone to make changes to the site from week to week"?  who's going to make the changes then?  them?  

For you... ColdFusion is not a hard language to learn... but it -is- a language.  There'd probably be a learning curve on your end.

If you want to "compile" (i assume you mean save) the current code... depends on whether or not you want the CF code (if so, ftp to the server and download it) or just the rendered HTML (if you don't plan on using CF in the future, all you'd need is the HTML) in which case you can just view source in the browser and save it.

if you choose to learn coldfusion, you can download the developer's version (free to use personally... restricted to only allow 2 external IPs to access it, but otherwise has all the functionality in it).  go nuts Smile  

-CJ-
@ #coldfusion/DALNet
http://charlie.griefer.com

Teachers open the door. You enter by yourself.
—Chinese Proverb

riogrande
04-30-2007 @ 4:12 PM
Edit
Send P.M.
My Gravatar!